
Today I hope you don't mind if I pontificate a little about my style policies and problems. As serious as I sound I ask you to laugh as loud as you want, at any point, as many times as you want, please. A lot(most?) people don't take fashion too seriously and I thought I didn't because I don't spend a lot on my wardrobe but as I stated early just because you don't spend a lot on clothes doesn't mean you don't have a passion for fashion. I have to admit I do think about it a lot...so I have recently reclassified myself as the "take fashion too-seriously type". This blog is a full-on embrace of this reclassifcation.
So let me start by trying to explain a little about my personal style. I tend to like classic designs in terms of clothing. My idea of classic can be summed up in a few words; "faux french, fo real". When I make a purchase i ask myself, "is this faux french, fo real?"(I know, I know) and if it's yes, i can confidently buy knowing that I will wear the thing. It saves me a lot of time because all my clothes are related by this theme and it gives me direction in how I dress, having said that it can also be stressful at times. Fashion stress dosen't get a lot of sympathy but I've made a new policy to be more candid about my weaknesses/neuroses, haha, and I guess I can start here, so please bear with me.
In order to explain I have to go into a little bit more detail about my style. If I had to catergorize it I would say that I have two main fashion personas:ultra femme and smart tomboy. My ultra femme style is feminine and girlish; a typcial outfit would be a pink leopard print cardigan, pale pink satin camisole, skinny blue jeans, my teddy bear pendant and glittery pink high heels. My smart tomboy style is boyish and classic; a typcial outfit would be a black blazer, button down shirt with skinny denim overalls, my teddy bear pendant, flats and black frame glasses(prescription, of course). When my outfit is not clearly aligned to one of those categories I get stressed out by the mediocrity of the sartorial message I am sending; it makes my new clothes dull, bright colors seem faded and my acne worse. I think my friend put it best when she said, "if you're going to be a monkey, be a gorilla". Being a gorilla girl is not always easy but I try to stick to my guns.
Seeing as I currently teach children another fashion qualm is that I am forced to choose function over form and which hurts my feelings because most of my ultra femme outfits are function free and full on form.....and thus five days of the week I am stuck in the dreaded mediocre work clothes zone while my dresses and "on" outfits gather dust in the recesses of my closet. I am working on changing this situation.
One thing that I would really like to develop in my style is patterns, prints, whatever. I am really bad with prints. I usually go for solids and the only textile variety I have are stripey shirts, polka dot dresses, the occasional, occasional floral and leopard. Which in print sounds pretty varied but I am interested in branching out into more adventurous realms of prints but I am lost when it comes to this alluring pattern-filled world. There are too many things to think about when you consider color(s), size of the print, fabric, etc. My functional side tends to see prints as one-trick ponies that only go with certain items versus the hardworking solid that goes with everything but I'm working on getting rid of this prejudice...I'm planning to buy some pretty print blouses for the summer. We'll see how it goes.
(May 21, 2007)
1 comment:
I'm so in that zone.
I think and breath fashion and have to force myself not to comment on people's clothes all the time.
I sometimes forget that others aren't quite as obsessed about it as me.
Your looks sound interesting, I especially like the idea of smart tomboy, being such a tomboy myself.
Post a Comment