A good t-shirt design is like a haiku. You have to figure out how to say what you want with a limited amount of space, colors and words....It took me a long time to figure that out though because I don't really wear t-shirts with graphics on them hence I never really thought about how to adapt my work for that medium. When I was asked to submit some designs for a t-shirt project a couple months ago I really had no idea where to start. I submitted my painted illustrations point blank with a bajillion colors and no real message and a couple of other super (in my mind) "t-shirty" ideas but I really didn't know what I was doing. Luckily out of that messy bunch they accepted a design BUT rejected everything else. After that I started observing t-shirts more carefully; I may not wear them but sometimes I'm called to make them....so I must study. The best ones are simple but clever like a haiku. Anyways I guess the pointed observation has been paying off in little ways because now I get random t-shirt ideas all the time....
Oh, and it's rare but there are t-shirts that I do like. I'm drawn to stripey t-shirts, some trompe l'oeil stuff and t-shirts with photographic images on them. :-)

(this is cute and falls into my photographic image category)

(this one though it falls in the photographic image category not so much....although I do like the shape of the t-shirt better than the other one)
6 comments:
The below is from ファッションニュース thing I read to catch up what's going on in the industry..reminded me your blog today. I wanna see these t-shirts by Alexander Wang!
2008年8月7日(木)
アレキサンダー・ワン、2009年春にシューズとディヒュージョンラインを開始
「T by Alexander Wang」は12のスタイルによるTシャツのシリーズ。シューズはハイヒール、オープン・トゥのプラットフォームなど5スタイルを展開。「私は、私の美学にあったTシャツがないことを理解しました。ネックラインはストレッチでアームホールは戦略的に降ろされます。それはTシャツで眠り、翌日また、それを着用していることに似ています」とワン。
I'm liking basic tees with trimmings lately: fringe, buttons, ruffles, etc..
Hey- I just returned home to all my back issues of Nylon, and flipping through the March one, I saw some illustrations and thought, Good God, I recognize that style... Wanted to say congrats, and I'm pretty sure that you're no longer on Xanga, so came here instead to write you this. Best, Audrey (aka KittyBarrington)
Hello Audrey!
Good to run into you again!
Thanks for the comment.
esther
i do just basic fitted tee with quality cotton and maybe alittle bit of detailing. i have not done graphic in such a long time.
Post a Comment