
My friend, Chris, gave me a bunch of Hello Kitty loot(thank you!). It got me to thinking about when I started liking Hello Kitty and actually it wasn't until my twenties. In elementary school I was more into pastel colored characters like Little Twin Stars, Strawberry Shortcake, My Little Pony, and Carebears. Hello Kitty's primary colors were too staid to attract me at that age. In middle school Keroppi was very cool among Korean-American girls in Long Island. I think it was because it was a little more exclusive than the other Sanrio characters. At least in my neighborhood it was; you had to go to a Korean market to procure it. Than I moved to Japan and I was blitzed by all the hyper-cute things there but didn't form loyalty to any character. Fast forward to now. I have Hello Kitty nail clippers, underwear, phone charms, pouches, etc. I don't know when it happened but I have a weakness to all things Kitty. Am I Kitty's main demographic? It feels like it. Look at all the grown-up gear like Hello Kitty cigarette holders, make-up pouches, cashmere sweaters and the designer collaborations. Plus now she comes in pastel colors. Resistance is futile. It'll be hard to usurp her position as cute licensing monster of the world.
2 comments:
esther is the besther
I love Sanrio stuff.
Post a Comment