Wednesday, April 16, 2008

death by denim.

No one bats an eye at expensive jeans anymore. $130, $150, $200, $260....It's quaint to even talk about being shocked at the prices but it really amazes me how much people are willing to pay. We definitely crossed a threshold in the early 2000's with Frankie B, Seven, Diesel, Earl Jeans, etc. Suddenly jeans became a premium item; no price was too high for the "perfect" pair. A lot of my friends were worshippers at the alter of Seven(It's called Seven for all Mankind now(so fancy)). They reasoned that since they wore jeans almost everyday of the week that it was a good investment. My most expensive pair of jeans were $130 Bisou Bisou jeans I bought when I was a junior in college. They were super low rise, had an exposed zipper and a slight flare....sends shivers down my spine...ugh, gross!!!!

But besides that foray I never got into the whole designer denim thing. I've never tried on Seven for all Mankind, Diesel, Hudson, Acne, Ksubi, etc....It was too expensive for me to even get in on it in the first place but what really irritated me was the birth of a genre of girls that always wore designer jeans, cute blouse, heels type outfit/uniforms. It was just so cookie cutter. Floral blouse, jeans, heels, tiny, tiny Louis Vuitton pochette or Coach bag...argh, blegh, so boring!!! So I stopped wearing jeans for about two years. I just wore dresses and I still wear a lot of dresses but I rediscovered denim about a year and a half ago. I was lured back by all the new, cheap-y, cute denim. It started with Uniqlo's 4,000 yen skinny jeans. They totally rocked my world. I was like "denim is awesome!!!!!! I can wear these pants everyday and no one will notice or care!!" I had forgotten how easy they were. The other thing that lured me back were the cute shapes and styles. Lowry's Farm was my spot in Tokyo for cool styles like wide leg jeans with overall straps and skinny leg overalls. In the states it's Cheap Monday, Levi's and H&M jeans. Fashionable denim for the non-fanatical jeans wearer is hopefully here to stay. Denim is cheaper, cuter, easier to access and more diverse!!! It's win-win. So you see I'm not a hater, I just needed more options.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

if i was small enough i would do cheap monday to follow in your footsteps. promise.