Sunday, May 18, 2008

plastic boys and girls.

Last night I went to a photo exhibit opening for Yonehara Yasumasa and I left the show with a bad taste in my mouth. I went to the show knowing Yonehara's work. He takes sexy polaroids and photos of girls. I like his work for the cutesy styling, cute models and the lo-tech, fuzzy look of his photos. He has collaborated with Fafi and in general I like his work. But when I went to the show last night it dawned on me that his work is just a glorified collection of pervy photos. He has his own niche and I'm not trying to playa hate or be high brow about street art but I'm a little bit over the old man idolizing really pretty young girls genre of photography.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi , this is sharry(yourdorkiness), is he showing in california? I was curious how his work was too and if it was really as perverted as it seems. How's illustrating going? hope you are well. =)

fauxfauxreal said...

hey sharry,
i remember you. :) um...he's showing at a space on fairfax. i think you can get more info on the evilmonito website. :) the stuff at the show was kind of..........hmmm but, yeah, i don't want to bag on someone else's work too much. as for me i'm just freelancing. how about you? how are your illustrations?

esther

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

I'm glad someone acknowledges the sometimes subversive messages taking place! Certain fashion styles to mean are too "lolita" and glorify pre-pubscent bodies as "sexy."

fauxfauxreal said...

Hi clotheshorse,
Thanks for your always thoughtful comments.
esther