

Aya and I are making a zine. We had wanted to do something together and had been talking about it for awhile but were exhausted from working, putting on an art show, the weather, etc. Also we had just had a conversation about how it's difficult to do satisfying collaborations and how tiring it could become if you are not totally into it. In my opinion many collaborations look like a visual war of clashing mismatched aesthetics. Although the overall effect might be cool I feel that artistically it can easily become a lose/lose situation if you end up giving up or losing a lot of control. Even so I still enjoy seeing them and doing them. But for this project I really just wanted to do a collaboration that was connected but basically free....that's where I got the idea for this zine. 5things, straight and simple. Aya and I chose 5 things to draw and we each did our own interpretation of that thing. Five of our own pages on each side corresponding to each topic until we meet in the middle and do a mini(stress-free) doodle session.
We spent one Saturday afternoon at the freezing cold shoebox size Kinko's in Shibuya putting the main part together. Aya is sewing the binding(maybe even as I type this) and I have to do the cutting after that. We'll be finished soon. I can't wait to post the drawings. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment