Sunday, November 23, 2008

Neither here nor there.

I'm always interested in Tokyo when I'm in L.A and interested in L.A. when I'm in Tokyo. Seeing the culture from afar with a filter of a different culture around me lets me look objectively and without the "guilt" of being a mere consumer/participant/follower. For instance it was interesting to check out thecobrasnake website when I was in Tokyo because I enjoyed observing the differences in clothing, style, self-expresssion...even down to the way people pose in pictures. I mean it's not as quintessential and easily recognizable as Asians and the ever present peace sign but there are distinct ways Americans pose, too. And now that I'm in L.A. I'm combing Youtube for J-pop and K-pop acts that I never paid attention to when I had the chance to observe them first hand.

I guess it's just the way I process things.

(three members of Korean group, Big Bang)

No comments: