
This feels like a new America to me. Having lived abroad for many years I do not take for granted the privilege of being an American citizen. Despite our bad reputation around the world through the past eight years and peoples' disgust at all the wrongs in our society the fundamental values at the core of this nation of freedom and liberty for all still ring true and still make people yearn to live here. Even so I never expected Obama to win. I hoped and was inspired by his campaign but I underestimated America. I did not expect so many people to be able to support a black candidate, even now I'm flabbergasted. It makes me see America in a hopeful, new light; as Obama said as a nation of people who believe in their power to affect change. I am particularly inspired by his sincere efforts to unite this nation. In truth I am sick of this red/blue dichotomy. We really do weaken the whole when we don't attempt to create a dialogue of understanding between opposing groups. It's easy to look down at the other side. Anyone can dismiss someone they don't like but how many people can come to an understanding, a common ground with someone that opposes them. I admire Obama for his commitment to America as a whole. For me that message challenges me to make changes in my personal life to create bridges and to try to meet people on common ground as difficult as it sometimes is. I wish Obama the best of luck and am excited for this new chapter in American history.
No comments:
Post a Comment